Beautifying Your Skin

2 Types Of Mole Changes You Need To Have Examined By A Doctor

If you have moles on your body, you may have had them for years and do not give much thought to them. However, although the growths are normally benign, they can start to change, especially if you spend a lot of time in the sun or work with certain chemicals that get on your skin.

While not all changes are necessarily cancerous, you still need to have them examined and possibly biopsied to make sure that the moles have not turned malignant. Below are a couple of types of mole changes that should be examined by a doctor as soon as possible.

1. Edges of the Mole Have Become Jagged and Uneven 

One type of change that you should watch for when examining the moles on your body can be found around the edges. Normally, the edges are smooth and rounded, giving the moles symmetrical shapes.

When abnormal changes start to happen, the edges become jagged and uneven. The moles will no longer be symmetrical, with some areas growing outward from the centers.

They will also start to grow larger, becoming more asymmetrical as they become larger. If you see these changes, especially when in combination with the sign discussed below, you should have a dermatologist look at them during your next appointment.

2. Color Has Become Uneven and Is Much Darker in Areas 

Another type of change that you should be on the lookout for has to do with the colors of the moles. Normally, the moles will have a light or dark brown color that is uniform throughout.

However, when abnormal changes start to occur, the colors will start to become uneven. Some areas of the moles will still have their normal color, but others will start to darken. As the changes progress, parts of the moles will start to become black. When these color changes are noticed, a doctor will typically perform a biopsy to check for skin cancer.

When you have moles on your body, keep a lookout for changes in their shapes and colors. If the edges become jagged and are no longer symmetrical and/or the colors become uneven or have darkened areas, you should have them checked out by a doctor. If you have any moles or other skin areas that you are concerned about, make an appointment with a dermatologist near you so that they can perform a skin cancer check if they deem it necessary. 

For more information about skin cancer checks, contact a local company.